Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Insane in the Membrane

I can see the dazzling lights of vacation on the horizon. Today felt especially tiring. Third graders are notoriously evil. In every school, across the board, I hardly ever hear tell of a teacher that enjoys teaching third graders English. First of all, most of them can't speak a lick of English. They can't understand me and for the most part, I can't understand them. There are a few, but they are scarce. Second, they don't want to be in school. Third, they have no self control. Or little there of. For example, today we made mini books similar to the Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See children's classic. Midway through the project, I look over and see a small boy, cute as the day is long, brandishing a scissors like a dagger. He had fire in his eyes and kept repeating something I imagine was Korean for, "Wanna go? We can do this right now, try me!" The next minute they were all laughing about some blue pig one of them drew. Pfft.

The next seven months seem like they will drag on for-ev-er. I mean, I've been working full time now for almost five months so I'm hoping the next semester will go just as fast. Plus, more vaca time in winter :)

I did a random scan of the job openings for library assistants and the job market still seems pretty bleak. I don't know yet what I will do if I can ever make it home...I'm not sure how much longer I can teach without losing my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment