Today the wee chilluns have tests so I don't have to teach. So I will be toolin' around on the internet all day and trying to think about what I should teach tomorrow. I realized that I haven't actually talked about what I do here so, since I have 8 hours to myself, I will enlighten those of you who might care and listen to my wait wait don't tell me podcasts.
I work at a public primary (elementary) school in the Beesan district. I was told by everyone and their mother that this is an extremely poor area so the children's English skills are lacking, to say the least. I only teach 3rd-6th grade. The 3rd graders usually have no idea what is going on and I'm pretty sure they're all aliens. Or they think I'm an alien. Either way, they never understand what I'm saying and only through a series of waving my arms and various gestures do I get them to do what I want. According to the curriculum here, the 3rd graders aren't supposed to have to read or write anything so each lesson consists of me saying a word or phrase and them repeating it. Over and over and over. Then we play a game or sing a song. 3rd graders are also the hardest to control. They are always yelling or doing weird things. For example, I had them playing a card game yesterday and when I was walking around I stopped at a table to see if they were playing the game right, but there weren't any cards on the table and the kids were looking for them. Then one stood up and there were the cards, under his butt. He decided to sit on them instead of play the game. I have to admit, it was kind of funny and it made me laugh because he helped look for the cards with such a straight face even though he KNEW exactly where they were. But between that and random kids standing up and yelling or just being dicks I end up grateful I only have 3rd graders every other week. On the bright side, they are just about the cutest little people I have ever seen. Some of them are so so small I want to carry them in my pocket. And they have these tiny little voices that warm my cockles. 4th graders are worlds better behaved and pretty unremarkable, with the exception of one giant boy called Minsu. He looks like he could be a 6th grader and he just looms over all the others. The lessons are about the same as the 3rd graders with the exception that most of them can actually read due to the afterschool acadamies they all go to. The 5th graders are my favorite. They can read and write and are so excited to see me and learn English. I can play games with them because the lessons are still pretty simple and they're not quite awkward and deathly shy yet. As for the 6th graders...they are exhausting. They have to learn so much in one lesson period and most of them can barely say anything in English. But there are a few that actually understand what I'm saying which is always pleasing. Even after 40 minutes of going over the words or phrases over and over in various ways, at the end of the class when they have to say something to me, some of them still just blurt noises at me. For instance, they each had to say "first, second, third, fourth" and a few of them came up to me and went, "Maw Blaw Paw Pla." I end up loving the few that know what is going on so they can help the others. I also have a teacher class every tuesday and thursday, but no one ever comes.
After school I walk home and usually try to sit quietly for as long as possible and then dance around Jacob until he gets annoyed and wants to go eat. As for food, I think I've eaten more meat in the two months I've been here than in all of 2008. Jacob looooves kalbi and sam gyap sal. He also always wants Outback Steakhouse and hamburgers. I haven't mastered the kitchen yet or really ventured farther than the corner store where we buy dumplings, ramen, yogurt, and fruit. Next weekend is a four day weekend and I'm looking forward to doing nothing. Maybe adventure to Woobangland- the local amusement park.
I love it. Such a great description of the strangeness of everyday life as an English teacher in Korea :) Although, being as I was working at a hagwan (private academy), I got some classes with a higher English level. Although, the things they would come up with to say to me were always hilarious. The best was after Jason visited... a bunch of the kids were obsessed with him and loved to talk about him and make up stories about him. The younger kids would say horrible things happened to him, and then say, "how are you, teacher?" so that I would say with a big frown, "sad."
ReplyDeleteThe older ones had more elaborate stories of him getting into fights with other guys, or whatever. Very amusing.
Do you actually have Outback steaks and hamburgers where you are?
So, we leave in less than a week-yikes! Did I tell you that we're taking the weekend in Korea? We're going to visit Korean friends I made there and eat lots :) Really, I don't know if we'll have enough meals to eat all the wonderful foods I miss!
Keep the funny stories coming! Even if it's just for my entertainment :)
April
Yup, there's an Outback, McDonalds, Burger King, Bennigans, KFC, and various Korean fast food burger places.
ReplyDeleteWoobangland sounds kind of.... adult.
ReplyDelete